Friday, September 29, 2006

Pashtidah!

The name "Pashtidah" might actually be a word in some language, I don't know, but the food to which it refers is a popular Israeli staple for Shabbat. Or anytime. It's quick, it's easy, it's usually pretty good. Basically, it's a quiche in a pie crust, but the secret lies in the pie crust, if you ask me.

Having practiced for years on apples, blackberries and even more than one blueberry pie, I have the buttery crust part down. First off I "prick" the crust and blind bake it to the halfway point. The time it takes to blind bake is just enough to prepare the filling.

For Pashtidah (the entree not a dessert pie), my filling always seems to start with "sautee some diced onions and diced mushrooms." And of course, in the bowl, you start with "beat 4 eggs, add 1/2 c. of grated cheese," but yesterday's quick "toss it together" effort did not have nearly enough cheese.

I should have looked up the recipe before making it instead of going from memory and checking "What did I forget?" when it came out looking like this.

But the crust came out great and that's the important part ;)

1 Comments:

Blogger -sry said...

I have no idea who you are but I do hope you think to come back for dessert, since I just posted the "Hazelnut Hearts" that can make any sane human drool.

Live vicariously through pictures--at least where butter and chocolate's involved!

-sry

Fri Sep 29, 12:24:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home