Saturday, September 09, 2006

Tabouleh & Couscous

So DirtyDingus is having a little confusion, methinks. No, I haven't gone off and made a tabouleh salad--I hate mint and the minced mint leaves are pretty much the "secret ingredient" in tabouleh. You might as well leave out the lemon (*ack*)

There are definitely different styles and recipes for this traditional Lebanese salad, but the image (stolen from the StockFood web site) is what I'm used to seeing when hear "tabouleh." Maybe a slightly more green level on the proportions of parsley/mint to couscous. This one is heavy on the couscous (which I love).

The one thing that perplexes me is the number of recipes showing up on a quick Google that call for Bulgar Wheat instead of couscous. They are totally different animals--well, they are both grains, not animals, but you get my drift. I've cooked with Bulgar (Cracked) Wheat and it's a longer, oval-shaped grain that puffs up like couscous and rice do, but it's chewier, crunchier and has a much stronger, nutty flavor.


Couscous, OTOH, should look like the picture at right shows. It's a round-shaped grain that cooks up softer and is, in fact, oftentimes served like this, with cooked veggies on top. This couscous photo is also stolen from the same stock photography web site (hey, if they don't want people to use their images, they shouldn't put them online ;-) and at least I'm giving multiple link-backs.)

Great, now I'm craving real hummus! Not to be found on the North American continent, btw. I just had to look at these photos, didn't I?

4 Comments:

Blogger dirty dingus said...

My response (illustrated)

Sun Sep 10, 05:25:00 AM CDT  
Blogger -sry said...

Okay, I think our "views" are pretty darn close. Have you seen what some people call "tabouleh" though? See this one:

http://athens.trekmenu.com/athens/media/P1010077.JPG

which is mostly leafy and has too much tomato (I don't add tomato at ALL!) or this one:

http://www.jawhara.ch/foto%20galerie/taboule_jpg.jpg

Again, too much greenery for my taste.

Sun Sep 10, 09:40:00 AM CDT  
Blogger dirty dingus said...

Those are what I meant by adding couscous or taboule to a salad. Since you don't like mint in your case adding couscous to a salad would get what appaers to be illustrated as Taboule (albeit sans mint).

BTW one thing that works well with couscous is a homemade salsa with lots of cilantro leaves, as well as the cumin, tomatoes and if you can get them - difficult here, easier for you I guess - tomatillos

Sun Sep 10, 12:01:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It USED to be found on the North American continent when I made it. Then I started writing these book things...

Sarah (Hoyt)

Tue Sep 12, 04:53:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home