Friday, November 10, 2006

NaNoWriMo - Day 10

So, instead of continuing onto Lisa's ice pick scene (which has me stumped by showing up in my head at two conflicting points in the timeline), I'm thinking about the beginning again. Recall, I don't have an "opener" for this yet. The first snippet occurs some 10k or so words into the story. Maybe only 5000-8000 words, but at least one chapter.

My feel after writing as much as I have (about 1/3 of the book already) is that the opener should be in Lacey's POV, maybe the "Death of Dean Gestner" scene. A revelation in a person's life (or a total crash and burn) always makes for a good opener to a story, and I definitely don't want to open with Rainey's harsh language. No one else "can" show up until we've met the two MC's so....

I'll play with that today, might not upload it after all. Have to see how it turns out. The one thing Barfly Steve Smith has drilled into me is that the claim Lacey's been at this for 10 years (in the present, 2006, setting) won't fly. If she were going to break, she'd have broken long before years had flown by. I knew this and had originally had her (10 years ago) cracking after killing Gestner, taking several months (6-8 mos) to pull it together again. Might work, might not.

To borrow some of Lois McMaster Bujold's words (speaking as Emperor Gregor) Let's see what happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home